Budget-friendly tips that will transform your home and help you sell FAST!
It’s time to put your home on the market. It’s been a great place for you and your family, but the inside probably looks a bit “lived in”. While this doesn’t matter when you’re actually living in the home, it typically doesn’t attract potential buyers. They want to imagine themselves in your house. So what should you do about the pile of magazines stacked in the corner or the collage of family pictures displayed in the living room? As you prepare for the day the “for sale” sign goes up, there’s plenty you can do inside to help sell your home quickly.
You’ve seen those television shows where a professional stager completely transforms a seller’s home. Those houses look amazing! But, as much as we’d all love to have our own personal stager, it’s not always possible. So, what should the rest of us do? Thankfully, there are many ways we can “stage” our homes without spending a lot of money and using what we have.
- Pack your personal items first. In general, personal items are distracting to a potential buyer. They prefer to see your home as blank slate, a model home they can personalize to their individual tastes.
- Clear out the clutter, junk, and knickknacks. The best place to store your personal items is in a storage unit or at a friend or family member’s house. If those options aren’t available, the garage is your next best location.
- Remove unnecessary furniture and rearrange rooms to create more open space. Never block a beautiful view or a fireplace with furniture. For more ideas for furniture placement, visit some model homes or check out houzz.com.
- If the budget permits, purchase a few small “accent items” for your home. For example, a matching towel set, accent pillows, and fresh flowers go a long way.
- If you have time and a little extra money, a fresh coat of paint can do wonders. Also consider neutralizing paint colors especially if you’ve painted in bold colors.
- Clean! Deodorize! Clean! A clean home is attractive to a potential buyer. Consider hiring a professional cleaner if time permits.
- Wash your windows. Clean windows are attractive to a potential buyer because they open up a room and bring in lots of natural light.
- Do a little yard work. A manicured lawn, new mulch, and colorful flowers give your front lawn a little curb appeal. Clearing the yard of litter and debris is also important because first impressions mean everything!
- Bake some cookies! Freshly baked cookies or even cinnamon sticks in a pot of boiling water create a natural air freshener and mask smells. It also creates a welcoming, warm atmosphere for potential buyers.
Some people just have a hard time getting past your home’s personal décor, clutter, or even just a little dirt. These are just a few ways you can make your home more appealing to potential buyers. Thinking of selling? Witham Real Estate has an inventory of our own home accessories that we loan to customers to help refresh their home for sale. Call us, we’d love to talk to you!